Monday, February 04, 2008

When Red Gives Blues

This is that time of the year when I wish I could run away and hide somewhere in the caves of Afghanistan or atleast in home of Bal (or even Raj) Thackeray. Anywhere where I can get respite from the carpet bombing that's going to take place in next ten days!

During next week and half, every TV channel, newspaper, radio station and web portal is going to mock my lonely existence on this planet! Valentine’s Day is coming.

The newspapers will have articles about origin of Valentine's day and the modern trends of its celebration along with obviously cooked up financial statistics of card and gift companies. OK, you don't read those but how do you ignore all the full page mushy ads of restaurants, hotels, malls and every other business establishment which will either allow only couples or have special discounts for them!

Stories of all the TV serials will take bizarre turns to include a valentine's day celebration. And you can expect nothing else but romantic Bollywood numbers playing in the background and roses and hearts on the screen. Anyways they don't have much of a story! News channels will cover it with special 'urgency' and will telecast the 'happenings' live from across the country. Nobodies from BJP, Shiv Sena, MNS, VHP etc. will give warnings to couples and ‘perform’ vandalism in front of cameras.

Radio Stations will take on callers and air their stupid romantic messages and play their dedications. (I just wish they do that only for that day and not during whole week!) I have always hated those online ads (made in Flash 7) which fly in from nowhere and now they will come at me with a vengeance with their balloons and hearts and background music. Is any online privacy group listening? Please rescue me.

Some one please save me from this onslaught. On second thoughts (only for girls): be my valentine!

6 comments:

DD said...

Happy V-day Asty! ;)

Vaibhav Choudhary said...

Yes, most of the time media, channels over hipped these occasions. I would love to see any comment from any valentine pair, what they want to say on this occasion.

Anonymous said...

that was a 'cute' blog abhishek :)...hope u get ur valentine this year...newys, you know wt...God helps those who help themselves...

-neha

Anonymous said...

:) I really wish you get your valentine this time so that you won't be that upset this time...

-balpreet

Anonymous said...

You could just skip them all by quitting TV, radio and newspaper. Read my post at http://peoplepowergranny.blogspot.com. Today was harder than the first two. While at my site, vote in my poll on what is a good replacement for TV and radio and the newspaper?

Hyderabadiz said...

Thanks for your support. We have a new post on the comedy: Bakra. Best wishes.